I finally got a reason to make snake soft toy for my children. It is the year of Snake in Chinese calendar this year! When I searched on the internet for tutorial, I found so many are making the snake from dad's tie. I decided not to touch on my husband's expensive ties. So, I borrowed one from him to trace out the shape on fabric.
My kids are very happy with their new toys and have thrown me many questions about snake. Some interesting questions like, why do snakes stick out their tongues? Why do snakes dance due to music of snake charmer? Oh my, I told my kids: 'please give me one week, I shall wiki about it and come back to you'.
Snake Soft Toy
checkered fabric (snake back)
white plain fabric (snake belly)
red felt (for tongue, cut out the shape)
2 black buttons (for eyes)
1. lay both checkered and white fabric right side facing together
2. place the tie on the fabric and trace out the shape of the tie
3. leave 1/2 inch seam allowance
4. stitch around the edges, sew the tongue, leaving a 5 inches opening
5. turn the fabric right side out, stuff the snake with stuffing
6. sew the opening close, and sew buttons for eyes.