I tried on egg tarts making last weeks and it turned out just great. It was easier to prepare than what I expected. The baking time is short and the ingredients are easy to get. Most importantly, it was delicious when eat it just out from oven. The skin is crispy and the egg is soft like white silken tofu. It is best to serve for afternoon tea.
Ingredients A: crust
½ cup (125gm) butter, soften
1½ cup cake flour
½ cup sugar
Ingredients B: custard
1½ cup hot water
½ cup sugar
5 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup evaporated milk
1. Use hand to mix all ingredients A together and place the dough in the fridge for 1 hour.
2. In a bowl, dissolve sugar with hot water, let cool.
3. Mix in eggs and evaporated milk into the sugar water.
4. Take out the dough from the fridge. Lightly press dough with your fingers on the tart tin. Starting from the bottom then up to the sides to make a tart shell. Trim away any excess dough.
5. Pour egg mixture into each tart shell. Be careful not to over pour.
6. Preheat oven 190C and bake for 30 minutes or until the tart shell edges are golden brown.
7. Overturn the egg tarts and place it into paper cups.
It can bake about 15 tarts. It is good to eat fresh out from the oven. The crust will remain crispy for 4 hours, and turn soft after 6 hours. You may want to keep it in the fridge if you were to eat it the next day. Just place it in oven for few minutes to make the skin crispy again.