We served lots of red cordial drinks to our guests this CNY. Oh yes, we love everything in Red. This year, I boiled Roselle cordial instead of using the ready red-coloured cordial. Simply because it is natural, healthier and high in vitamin C. Roselle can be easily found at Malay stalls in wet market, at RM2 for a big bag.
Roselle, 2 handful
3 litres of water (est. 2 x 1.5L bottled water)
1. separate the red calyx from the seedpod.
2. wash and drain the red calyx.
3. place red calyx and water in stainless steel pot and bring to the boil. Simmer until the red color has faded from the calyx.
4. add sugar to taste.
5. strain through a sieve and throw away the fruit.
6. let cool and keep it in the refrigerator. Serve cool.
If you wanted to plant Roselle of your own, keep the seedpod as seedings are inside the seedpod.
1. put seedpods out to dry.
2. crack open to take the seedings out and plant it.