This is the best recipe of all the carrot cake recipes I have ever made. I received so many compliments from friends and relatives. By the way, this is not my mother-in-law's recipe but is Hochiak's mother-in-law’s recipe for Carrot Cake with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting. I mortified the recipe a bit by reducing the amount of sugar and simplified the baking steps.
MIL's Best Carrot Cake Recipe
Preheat oven: 170C Baking time: 45 minutes
Ingredients for the Carrot Cake
240 gm self-raising flour
180 gm caster sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon powder
1/4 tsp nutmeg powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
240 gm carrots (grated)
120 gm pineapples (tinned, drained and chopped)
60 gm raisins (lightly chopped)
60 gm walnuts (chopped coarsely)
180 ml cooking oil
Ingredients for Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
60 gm butter, softened
230 gm cream cheese, softened
200 gm icing sugar, sifted
Lemon rind from 1 lemon
Lemon juice from 1/2 lemon
1. sift flour, caster sugar, and soda and baking powder in a bowl.
2. in a separate bowl, whisk eggs until frothy, add in vanilla essence.
3. mix dry and wet ingredients together.
4. add in carrots, walnuts, raisins, pineapples and cooking oil, stir well and bake.
5. allow cake to cool before applying frosting.
6. frosting: beat all ingredients in low speed until smooth and creamy.